Each spring Canton Youth Soccer Association (CYSA) conducts travel (U9-U13) player evaluations to assist in placing your children on teams that strives to ensure a fun, yet competitive experience for all players. Each age group will have two sessions. We strongly encourage you to have your child attend both of the sessions in order for them to have as much exposure to our team of outside evaluators as possible. If your child does not attend at least one of the sessions, their team placement will very likely be affected.
We ask that you arrive fifteen minutes in advance of your scheduled evaluation time in order to check your child in. All players should have cleats, shin guards, a ball (with their name on it) and plenty of water (name on water bottles please), and bug spray, too. Parents and coaches will not be allowed onto the fields during the evaluations. You can either drop off the players or wait in the parking lot. The players are well aware that these are evaluation sessions and the additional pressures that come from sideline coaching only serve to make the experience more stressful for the players. They should be free to play to their best ability without any outside influences.
This year evaluations will take place at the Galvin fields with player check-in at Galvin upper. Your player should attend the session for the age group he/she will be playing in next season. Current 2nd grade players (U8) are not included in this evaluation process as the first year of travel is played with balanced teams in the tri-town league. Below is a guide for the age groups and the schedule.
We will be using a portion of each session to evaluate those who are interested in playing goalkeeper. A few notes:
- Only those playing in the fall U12 and U14 age groups will have the option of being evaluated as a goal keeper.
- Goal keepers must participate in the field player portion of the evaluation at the conclusion of the goal keeper portion each session.
- During registration, you will have the option to include your player's desire to be considered as goal keeper
Team formation is decided with many factors in mind, including:
- Spring Evaluation results (done by independent evaluators)
- Coaches' evaluations from previous season
- Number of players registered for age group
- Number of volunteers
Note, if you have played with your school grade instead of your age group, you should attend the evaluation session for your school grade. This only applies to a couple of players.